Friday, December 23, 2005

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!

| by TFLS | 6:06 PM |

Ho, Ho, Ho – A very Merry Christmas to you all! I wanted to offer up two rather different ways of looking at this most contentious of holidays. The first dates back to the 1950’s, and is typical of what was popular during the Eisenhower head in the sand era. Keep in mind, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was a 50’s comfit – just the thing post-war Americans preferred with their morning coffee early on Christmas morning. Perhaps that’s why the 60’s featured so much activity and upheaval – all that sugar finally kicked in!


I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas is one of my husband’s favorite holiday songs. He originally heard it on Dr. Demento, a brilliant font for all things obscure and kitschy. If you don’t know Demento, you should acquaint yourself. Hubby was a devoted Demento fan (weren’t we all); I mean, that’s where I first heard ‘The Vatican Rag’, one of Tom Lehrer’s finest (did you know he used to teach mathematics at UC Santa Cruz?). I absolutely adore that man! His lectures used to be so packed; it was strictly SRO for every class. But I digress. So – click on the song title, and it will take you to a recording of blond belter Gayla Peevey singing her little heart out (you could hear this kid in Poughkeepsie). The song was revived some years back when the Oklahoma City Zoo needed to raise money to purchase; you guessed it, a hippo. It worked too.

For those of you needing a little vinegar to cut all that sugar, may I recommend this delightfully skewed take on today’s obsession with being politically correct. Another gift from my always interesting friend Elaine, the comic in the video clip has obviously had it with the Christmas war from all sides – and his interpretation of ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas’ takes the cake. I nearly fell off my chair, I was laughing so hard. So – here you go; remember now - it might take a couple of minutes to load – so just be patient. I promise it’s worth the wait!

Twas The Night Before Christmas

Funny stuff – yes? I thought so. Well – have a happy one, folks; take care and be safe – no side trips as you go over the river and through the woods on your way to Grandmama’s, or Aunt Bertha, or even just to your sister’s place down the street. We don’t want you getting lost out there. Also – try and avoid wolves at all costs; especially if you’re partial to the color red. Me – I’m staying home and cooking up a storm – all traditional junk – turkey, pumpkin pie, cornbread stuffing, fresh veggies – definitely lots of leftover’s to go in the fridge for future munching! So – Merry Christmas to all, and to all one hell of a good fucking night!



Comments: Post a Comment