Monday, January 16, 2006

| by TFLS | 4:44 PM |



Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child must work for a living,
But the child that's born on the Sabbath day Is fair and wise and good and gay.

He was born on a Tuesday – January 15, 1929. They named him Martin Luther – after his father and in honor of the concept of reform, and rebirth. I would say he was well and truly ‘full of grace’. In fact, I’d say he embodied all the attributes of our little rhyme – a handsome man, blessed with wit and intelligence, he nonetheless struggled for recognition; working hard to achieve despite the almost insurmountable barricades erected because of the color of his skin. A wise man, he gave of himself freely, as though he had no pressing needs; finding joy in the simplest of life’s offerings – and giving back that joy to those around him. Truly - a prince amongst men. It does indeed seem the good, they die young.

Today we acknowledge the myriad contributions Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. injected into every facet of our society. He shaped the fabric of our cultural and political landscape as much as say, Jefferson’s enlightenment idealism or George M. Cohan’s unique ability to capture Americana in song. I grew up privileged to listen to the man – including his inspirational ‘I’ve got a dream’ speech. I may have been a little kid – but I heard it, and I knew what he said was right – I could feel it in my bones. He always seemed so calm, and collected – even when people screamed epithets – he quietly soldiered on. What a marvelous role model to hold up for America’s children – someone who saw what needed to be done, and did it – no matter the personal cost. Truly, as Kennedy said, what he could do for his country. Funny, but I can’t think of anyone today who’s not motivated by gain – not even Dr. King’s family. No one’s willing to sacrifice one whit of comfort or privilege for the greater good. Frankly, I’m not even sure there is a greater good - not anymore. There’s just greed, power and control – idealism died with King and Kennedy – the dregs that are left reek to high heaven of graft and corruption.

So I want you all to think about our world, this Monday – about how it is, and how it might have been had a snipers bullet not found its target one cool spring evening. He died on a Thursday, by the way – I hope the gates of heaven were within easy reach. Think about what might have been had another bullet not found its mark a scant 2 months later. Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby? Think how much this country and the world would have changed had these two men never been assassinated. Robert Kennedy - born on a Friday, died on a Thursday – the Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. I wish he were still here. Bobby would have been president - not Nixon. He would have appointed Dr. King head of a new cabinet post - the Civil Rights Commission. Everyone today would be equal under the law – no discrimination – gay or straight, male or female. Reagan would never have become president, the cocaine cabal under Cheney would never have coalesced and greed would never, ever have been good.

Ah well - if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

Has anybody here seen my old friend Martin?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good die young,
I just looked around and he's gone.

Didn't you love the things they stood for?
Didn't they try to find some good for you and me?
And we'll be free.
Someday soon, it's gonna be one day.

Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill,
With Abraham, Martin and John.

Amen



Comments: Post a Comment